Sunday, March 13, 2011

So, What Do You Do When You're Bored?

I have to wonder, sometimes, what other people do when they're bored or find themselves with time on their hands?


Bag created for this year's
Brenda Novak Auction
Me, I do all kinds of things when the characters go quiet or are trying to figure out what to tell me next. I clean. I iron (I also do this when I'm stressed or trying to relax.) I take pictures. I do research. But of all the things I like to do when I'm waiting for the characters to talk, I like to sew.


Side One of the
newest bag
This has actually helped me in the past, because I ended up in a work-study program while I was studying for my Bachelor's Degree in the university's theater costume shop. That's where my addiction began. It's a good addiction -- of a sort. For the two years I helped out in the costume shop, I learned how to create some of the coolest costumes. 


Side Two of the
newest bag
That's where my problem finds its roots. I love -- I mean LOVE -- to sew costumes. And not just any old costumes. Nuh uh. I like period costumes. Medieval, Renaissance, Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian, Western, Native American...all of the costumes I can get my hot little hands on. 


My dress dummy had to be left behind when I moved from Alaska to the Lower 48 and I haven't replaced it. At least not yet. But I have a feeling it'll be replaced very soon. 


Side view--ribbon
holds pocket closed
For right now, I'm focusing on little things. Like a neat pattern I have for handbags. 


A lady I know traded me some fabric for a few boxes of romance novels I gave her. Which put in my hands the perfect material for purses.


It will be very interesting to see what happens when I finish getting through this box of fabric. LOL. I figure, if the writing career takes a dive, I may be able to make a living making handbags and purses. 


Next on the agenda... Corsets!

2 comments:

  1. I saw a very lovely velvet formal floor length dress at the State Fair last year.

    I love looking at old style clothes (don't ask me to put any on or try to buy new clothes but I'll look at old stuff.)

    I pick up hobbies - Growing roses, cross stitch, quilting, and now I'm working on chain mail jewelry. I've seen many people doing it, but not in designs I liked. So I'm doing my own. Only problem is the Silver is expensive. Fun to do...but I can't afford too many pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew a guy who made ring mail (chain mail in intricate interlocking rings) he used stainless and it was authentic to the Middle Ages. I knew another who made boiled leather armor.
    I love sewing and crocheting and I love making period costumes.
    It would be interesting to see the jewelry you've made so far, Beth.

    ReplyDelete